Player: Pern

Character Name: Torrence March Armistead
    Character Age: 23
    Birthday: March 1st 193
    Current Location: Eaton
    House: Armistead
    Crest Appearance:

House Description:
    An ancient merchant family, the Armisteads rose to nobility after giving use of their extensive merchant fleet to a king in need, centuries before, or so family legend says. What is known is that they have been Lords of Eaton for hundreds of years and are reasonably wealthy. They have a trading empire set up in Eaton and the surrounding area. The family also has a long and storied tradition of serving the kings of Tuneric as knights and soldiers as well as merchants.

For the last 30 years, the Armisteads had a tenuous alliance with the Redleaf family through a marriage between Gerald Armistead and Berniece Redleaf. The alliance did not die with the death of Gerald in 214. His younger brother Tythus took over the family business and when he died of plague in 216, Tythus' son Atlas took over. Atlast has decided that it's time to claim the Redleaf fortune and business for his own following the death of his distant "cousins," the Redleafs.
    Played By/Face Claim: Jake Gyllenhaal

More gentlemanly appearance: (images is...big) http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...9-1024-768.jpg

Appearance: In many ways the opposite of his elder brother Atlas, Torrence is far less "Imperial" in appearance and far more "Rogue." Due to his life spent at sea, roving from port to port from a young age, the youngest of the Armistead siblings is well built and deeply tanned. He prefers a low-maintenance lifestyle which does not often include shaving and leaves him looking somewhat of a brute with long dark hair and a bearded face. He inherited his light blue eyes from his mother, and they are such a color that they may often play tricks on people by reflecting surrounding hues and lights. His chin is squared and his cheekbones high-set; his body chiseled as if from stone, baring scars and a tattoo here and there. Though it doesn't happen often, when he does travel home to Eaton Torrence cleans up rather well. He can even look the part of a gentleman given fresh nobleman's clothes and a good shave and trim.

But for the majority of the time, Tor will be found bedecked in worn tunics, pants, leather strappings and the bronzed armor that belonged to his father (it was too big to fit Atlas, but Atlas got their father's sword).

Personality: Respectable and honorable, Torrence is smart enough to know when and when not to speak up. He has a better mind for warfare and forming battle strategy than his other siblings, and takes his role as second son very seriously. Unfortunately he is constantly slighted by the reminder that he is, indeed, the second son and not the one in charge. Torrence does what he can to uphold the family honor, and in his youth was often the one to clean up the emotional messes his older brother left behind, such as weeping ladies and slighted Lords. He would not openly oppose his brother because he does respect him, but he gets back in subtle ways – bringing gifts for his sister from his travels and speaking animatedly of his journeys to his brother's men, knowing Atlas longs to be back at sea.

Torrence is generally an easy-going fellow that enjoys a good laugh. Around women he can get a big dopey and clumsy if they show any sort of interest in him. He is very fond of his sister Cecilia and does often feel guilty for his long absences from home, especially since she became a widow. Torrence is a man that would give you his last coin or the shirt off his back if he lacked a reason not to. He can be overly trusting of strangers and likes to give people the benefit of the doubt. Luckily his adaptability to a changing lifestyle has saved him from trouble in situations where his judgement of someone has been less than accurate.

He used to be very open about himself, but following the death of his mother he has since clammed up. Torrence keeps his hurt, anger, and unrest to himself, making him vulnerable and even volatile when cornered. When his family honor is threatened he will be the first to jump to its defense, and given his stature and strength he makes a formidable and driven opponent when angered.

Torrence is, however, mostly harmless.

Aside from being a sailor Torrence enjoys reading and writing because of the memories he keeps close to his heart. As a boy his mother read to him from her collection of books, taught him to read and write when he didn't have a sword in his hand. Every time he visits a new town he buys a book, no matter what it's about, to read on the journey home and add to her library at Armistead Keep. He also writes to his sister constantly while at sea.

Torrence is a highly skilled swordsman and is quite good with throwing daggers as well. While his form will never be as perfected as that of Atlas', he makes up for his lack of grace with a strong arm and quick resourcefulness. He has a nack for adventure and loves exploring new places be it town or wild. He rarely gets lost and has a brilliant sense of direction and a rather good memory too.

After being marooned on an island for three days, he learned quickly how to build a fire and fend for himself.

What does Torrence dislike? Well, for one he dislikes horseback riding. He'd choose a burning, sinking ship in the middle of a hurricane to a saddle and a horse anyday. Horses seem to react badly to him, likely because they can sense his fear of them stemming from a rather ugly incident in his boyhood. There is but one horse in all the lands that he feel comfortable enough to ride, and that is his own Grey: an old, large dapple gray percheron draft. Woe to Torrence when the horse finally kicks the bucket.

Torrence is also awful with a bow and arrow because his sight in his left eye is less than perfect. He dislikes foreign foods that are too spicy or too sweet (bland, homecooked is what he likes most). He hates wine and he is allergic to pretty much every flower on the planet.

Torrence also dislikes dogs. Not for any particular reason. Perhaps because he's a cat kind of guy.

Personal History:

Set to be born mid February of 193, his mother's pregnancy went later than expected. Torrence Armistead was born just after midnight on March 1st, earning him the nickname "March" from his family and comrads later in life. Though he was born to priveledge, Torrence was the second son of the Armistead family and missed the boat on being groomed to take over the family name. Nevertheless, he enjoyed the spoils of a wealthy family from an early age and was one of those lucky few who not only didn't have to work for his stay, but was taught to read, write, swing a sword, be a gentleman, and always to be the supportive younger brother to the heir.

Since the day the boy could walk, Torrence showed a love of the sea by wandering away from the watchful eye of his mother or nursemaid to go play in the tide pools and run in the waves. He learned to swim at an early age, and by ten years old he was working as an Apprentice to a shipcrafter in the port and knew every name to every piece on a ship before he was even taught to ride a horse.

It was that same year that pirating became an issue in Eaton, the scoundrels finding their ways from the sea to the port town. Torrence was attempting to stop a bandit from stealing a woman's horse and cart full of goods when he fell from his own mount and was trampled in the process. Since then the sight in his left eye was never the same and he was quite fearful of horses after.

When he turned 14 Torrence joined his father's ships at sea and never quite left them. Sailing on the cargo trading ship "The Red Siren" Torrence worked his way up from deckhand to First Mate. He spent months away at a time, weathering all conditions and learning all that he must in order to present himself to the King when Tuneric's armadas are prepped and ready to sail away to the distant shores across the seas. Torrence was 21 when his father died and his sister was widowed. The second Armistead son found himself staying at home longer and longer after that. A year later when his mother died as well, he turned his attention upon the Eaton household and renewed his efforts of getting Knighted. He pulled his father's prized horse, The Great Grey, out of the stables and rode with confidence for the first time in eleven years.

Late into his 22 year, Torrence received a letter from the Captain of The Red Siren that the man was forced into retirement after shattering his left leg during a scuffle with his new First Mate and subsequently needing it amputated. He had requested Torrence made Captain of the ship - a request that Torrence happily took upon himself to fullfill. Torrence takes his voyages while his brother is present in Eaton, and remains at port when the Lord Armistead is away so that there will always be a Lord's presence at the Keep.

Family Genealogy:

Armistead (Birth Year)
    -Brenden Armistead (94) -- Katrane Kugel(99)
         -Rickard Armistead(118) -- Genera Abbotsford (113)
         -Anrel Armistead (121) -- Angelique Lamontagne (123)
         -Alecane Armistead (124) -- Cora Lamontagne (129)
         -Jacobian Armistead (128)
         -Brutian Armistead (130) -- Emryn Hightower (129)
              -Kilian Armistead (148) -- Linnet Priatree(155)
                   -Tythus Armistead (166)Mereille Montescue (166)
                        -Atlas Armistead (188)
                        -Cecilia Armistead (190)
                        -Torrence Armistead (193)
                   -Gerald Armistead (165) – Berniece Redleaf(170)
                        -Gemma Armiestead (189)
                        -Randal Armistead (191)
                        -Gerald Armistead II (192)

Writing Sample:

The beaches of Westwood were quite lovely this time of year and Torrence could not think of a better place to be spending the day. The Red Siren sat at port, refreshing supplies and loading trade goods from the southern town, leaving him some time to himself to eat lunch in peace. With the sand beneath his bare feet and an open stretch of ocean before him, the man chose a log of driftwood for his afternoon seat and began emptying the satchel of food he'd purchased in town.

"Hello there," a tiny, soft voice behind him nearly made Torrence drop his meade, and he quickly looked around to his right to find a small girl covered in sand and dirt.

"Hello," he said back, eyebrows raised quizzically.

"Are you a Lord?" the girl asked of him.

"I am," he said, blinking, "Lord Torrence Armistead of Eaton, are you-" he stopped and laughed as she gasped and made to curtsey before him, "that is well. Are you a Lady?"

"I am!" she exclaimed, standing proper and holding out her hand to him, "Lady Isarelle Trenton."

Grinning, Torrence took her hand, gently brushed away the sand and placed a kiss on it, "Delightful to meet you Lady Isarelle Trenton. Are you here alone?" Torrence watched her curiously as she began to explain her situation. She'd been out for a walk collecting seashells with her Septa. She liked walking on the beach and wanted to stay longer, but the Septa insisted they go for lunch. Torrence indulged her with a warm smile and made room on the log for her to join him as she spoke. He always liked children, though when they congregated around him in droves he tended to get nervous. They were such fragile...stupid things.

"I told her I wasn't hungry and that I wasn't going. Then I ran off. Septa has a bad hip, so she can't move very fast. I imagine it will take her a while to find me," the girl said with a short nod.

"I see," Torrence remarked, glancing to the roll of bread in his hand. He sighed and broke a piece off, offering it to her, "You do not look the least bit hungry," the man snickered when she snatched it away hastily, "where are your seashells?"

"I had them in a bucket," she said, pointing, "just there by the tidepools, but I turned around to get a starfish and a mermaid stole it. She took all my shells!"

"She will probably make a lovely necklace out of them for you to find in the sand I bet."

"You think so?!" the girl's eyes grew wide.

Torrence reached under the folds of his tunic to pull out a necklace holding an amulet in the shape of his house's sigil, carved from mother of pearl, "Do you see this? A mermaid made this for me when I was your age. It brings me good luck on the seas; strong winds, clear skies and smooth sailing." He held it out for her to touch, watching as she awed over it. In truth it had belonged to his father and was one of the few things, along with the man's armor, that he'd managed to claim after his death. Most of his father's belongings passed to his older brother Atlas, but this small trinket...this was his.

"Wow! And you think the mermaid will make me a necklace too? Let's go find it!" The girl trotted off, her skirts flying in the sea breeze. Torrence sighed and packed his lunch away. This wasn't his child to watch over, but he would see her safely back into the hands of her Septa and rest easier that night.

Tomorrow she would find the seashell necklace he made for her on the log.
    Last edited by Mora; 06-02-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: revised geno/birth year per Penny's approval

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good to me. Stamp 1 of 2! Welcome aboard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful work, Pern. It's awesome to have you here!

I just have one thing. We are in 216, so 184 would make your character older than 23. I know that Penny had requested an update to the geno for birth-years but it may be that wasn't reflected. If 23 is the age you're going for, update that accordingly and I will make the change on the geneology page for you as well (and for any Armisteads who need fixing).

Thank you! <3

Edit: Can you confirm if the correct year for Torrance is 193?

I will go ahead and reach out to Penny for confirmation as well as it is her House.
    Last edited by Mora; 06-02-2012 at 11:05 AM.

House Armistead Atlas Armistead's Avatar  
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    193 is the correct date. Perhaps it should be made possible to edit the accepted profiles so that confusions like these can be rectified more efficiently.

But everything else--approved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll go ahead and fix these dates in the corresponding spaces. Regarding allowing edits to accepted profiles, I will defer to the admins.

Approval 2 of 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edited the date!